Tuesday, May 29, 2012

DIY Garden (take 2)


I leaned some things from last year's garden: weeks can climb 2 inches into a garden, summer is hot and can kill tomatoes, soil dries quickly when exposed to the sun. This year I attempted to remedy some of those problems.

Home Depot trip:
1 roll garden/week cloth
2 baggies of big staple things
3 bags of wood mulch
2 bottles of total kill
4 tomato plants
6 lettuce plants
Too many kale plants
1 bag of onion bulbs
5 onion bulbs

First, I sprayed total kill around the perimeter of my garden and all over the garden area to kill off any new growth and stop weeds/grass from congregating on my garden. Note: this total kill stuff says that you can plant a day later, I waited a week just in case.


Next, I put down the garden cloth, cut holes, planted plants, and spread mulch.




On the bigger section, I dug a trench on each side. One trench for onion bulbs, and the other for garlic cloves (break them up and spread them out).



In a month or so, I added other plants (herbs, flowers, peppers, squash, zucchini, etc).



This is a vast improvement from my last garden, especially with the lattice.

No comments:

Post a Comment