Sunday, January 10, 2010

Musing on Moving

Packing a house provides a unique prospective on life.

I practically grew up packing. Every four years we'd move from Indonesia to travel around America for a few months, and in sixth grade, I began moving countries four times a year (Christmas and summer breaks). When I graduated high school and moved to college, I moved almost all I owned to a dorm room, and each semester, I'd move it out and back again.

Each time I moved, I would think about how similar my life was to that of a nomad and how this life is only the beginning of an eternal journey. But this is the first time I've packed up a whole house. This is the first time I've moved while married.

This time is different. I now have a family to move (my wife and two dogs). I am the provider moving my tribe to more suitable lands. It's a difficult thing to describe, this feeling. I suppose I never noticed just how self-centered all my previous moves have been. I have never needed to find a place near a park or considered purchasing a vehicle based on children I won't have for years to come. I have never before been responsible for someone else in a move.

I suppose this is what it is to be a leader--to be a husband.

1 comment:

  1. I read your post out loud to Than. We loved it.
    My favorite line is "I am the provider moving my tribe to more suitable lands."
    :-)
    Oh, that and purchasing a vehicle based on children you won't have for years to come

    ReplyDelete