Sunday, September 20, 2009

A Poem

I wrote this poem to my wife while we were still dating. I think I wrote it down during some class that I found especially droll, and I gave it to her shortly thereafter. Today my wife returned home from a trip to her parent's house, and she brought this poem with her.

A Poem
by Robert Whiting (3/25/08)

Well I thought I'd write a poem
in a sentimental way
for your lasting entertainment
at the ending of the... hour.

If it rhymed, it'd be romantic
and it may just make you red,
so I'll modify these lyrics--
it won't sound nice when it's... spoken.

In a poem what's required
but an image or a rhyme?
If you liked it then most likely
I would sing it all the... day.

And I thought I'd write your kindness
into something sweet and true,
but my brain is far too scattered
to write imagery of... Becca.

I think this poem's finished
as your class comes to an end
soon I'll give you all this writing
and this poem you can... repair.

2 comments: